*There might be lots of grammer mistakes, sorry for that.My throat was bone-dried. For too many days, I wasn't able to eat anything. I was feeling like if I touch my tongue, it will disrupt. Breathing was becoming more harder hour by hour and the smoke in the air was making my eyes sick; but, I was lucky to be alive. If the others could be as lucky as I am, they might stay alive and be with me.
Some days ago, maybe the biggest earthquake took part in my country, Ivory Coast. I was despondent to lose my family members; however, I was praying the God to let me alive. Also, I needed to be strong and believe to leave; otherwise, I was going to die.
For my luck, I was in the bathroom, when the earthquake happened. I made myself a life chamber between toilet and bath. If I think that situation all my life, I suppose I might not be able to find this idea. In addition to this, I was so helpless that I drank water from the toilet and it takes me 4 more days to live. However, when the toilet's water reserve finished, I started to do that by the natural ways.
Suddenly I heard some dogs barking and I woke up excitedly. When I first heard the barkings, I directly stand up. The dogs barking was becoming closer and closer; then I shouted " Help me! I am here, please save me, I'm so tired." Actually, I couldn't say that, because I wasn't able to shout. I was starving of thirstyness and there was no water in my throat. All of a sudden the rocks above my head started to shake, I had never felt the feelings that I do at that moment. I was going to survive, the trials that I had all the week was going to be beneficial. However, the shaking stopped and silence took part. My dreams were broken, I guess they were moving above my head and couldn't hear me, and went away. Then, a rock fell down to my head and everywhere became dark...
I was complicated. There were two wises -Death and Life- trying to explain something to me. Death was talking friendly; but, Life was talking more meaningfully. After a long discussion, I decided to go with the wise Death. I looked sorry to Life and left there. Death was taking me to his home and told me he will take care of myself in his house; but suddenly Death fell down to the floor.
The weird dream ended with a weird shock. Then, I opened my eyes. I was napping on something that I can't recognise and I was just able to see the above. The above was only white. I guess, I was in the heaven.
When I closed my eyes again. Death was on the ground laying and Life was smiling looking at him with a baseball racket. Then, I decided to go with Life, because Death was weak and injured. Death standed up and tried to punch Life with his last power; but, he couldn't succeeded and died there.
I opened my eyes, I was feeling relaxed than I've ever had. I saw a woman behind me, when I looked carefully I understood she was a nurse. The nurse came to my near and asked am I good or not. I tried to talk; but, I still wasn't able to talk. I tried to talk as possible as I could do, so I told my situation. After the nurse went away, a doctor appeared, " To be alive again should be a different feeling." I was mixed. What was the doctor was talking about !? I told the doctor to talk more meaningly and doctor started to explain, " When they took you to the hospital, few of your organs were working clearly. Then, we decided to give a shock on you; but you refused. So, we took you to the morgue; however, while we were taking you, your eyes opened and closed again." then he added, " I supposed you are the luckiest man I've ever seen in my career. When they took you under the rocks, you weren't alive. But, the dogs were smelling you differently and the workers decided you to take here. Before that happens, while they're moving around, they saw the rocks felling down under and saw you there." and he ended.
When I left the hospital, I was thinking how lucky I am. I guess, the answer was " my connection to the life". After all the things happened, I decided to move to France, besides staying in Ivory Coast, remembering all the difficulites I had.
Sami Morhayim
No comments:
Post a Comment